Monday, August 15, 2016

Oh, Hi! Mommy Recovery - Experience and Tips!

This is another one of those posts that really is meant for the ladies only.
Guys - if you feel like toughing it out and reading through some real deal labor and delivery recovery stuff...be my guest, but don't say I didn't warn you!

I can't lie. 
 I was totally terrified of the after effects and recovery from giving birth to an over 8 lb. baby.
Again, all of my online reading and research had filled my mind with absolute horror stories about 3rd degree tears, the "ring of fire", uncontrollable bleeding for weeks on end, and god forbid if I had to have a C-Section...

I'm three weeks post delivery now, and honestly...feeling pretty fantastic as far as the recovery goes. Other than taking advantage of the 800mg ibuprofen they dished out at the hospital,  I did stock up on a few supplies that I think really made a huge difference....so I'll share them with you, of course!!


At the hospital, they will give you this super fun looking plastic squeeze bottle, and instruct you to fill that bottle up and thoroughly spray your lady parts off after every bathroom trip.  The thing about that bottle is, unless it's completely full, getting that water to hit all the parts you need to is a little tough.
This is where the Fridababy Fridet came in super helpful.
It serves the same exact purpose as the hospital bottle, BUT it's designed to be used from all angles, and the spout is shaped to reach EVERYWHERE.

Believe me, you're going to want to feel as clean as humanly possible after the birth experience, and this tool really really helps!
I received mine in a Fridababy gift set that was about $50 at Babies R' Us, but honestly, if we hadn't received it, I would have gone out and purchased it. 
This is one of those things that is so BASIC and SIMPLE, but really truly is invaluable.

PadSicles!
If you only do ONE THING for yourself to prep for recovery, this is that thing.  Make your future new mommy self some PadSicles.  These amazing, wonderful, fantastic, life saving things seriously helped my recovery in amazing ways.  I really don't think that my first two weeks home would have been nearly as bearable without them.

In the hospital, they will give you these GINORMOUS ice pack pad things.  They are like super human sized and you feel like you are walking around with a fully loaded diaper.  HOWEVER, the cooling effect they provide for your girly areas are incomparable and they are a life saver for those first 48 hours.

Once you get home, and you've used all of the packs you smuggled back from the hospital, you'll be searching for some kind of cooling relief without popping a bag of frozen peas into your panties.

Your answer:  PadSicles!!!!

I prepped these before leaving for the hospital, and I used one full pack of pads during the first two weeks home.

If I had to do it again I would say that for me at least, I didn't need the extra long, over night, super duper maxi pads with wings past the third day post baby.  I would recommend buying maybe one pack of those monstrosities, and one pack of a lighter, regular pad option.

Here's how I made my PadSicles...

SUPPLIES

Maxi Pads (Your comfort level, but you will be totally covered if you use the extra long, over night Always pads with wings.

Aloe Vera (all natural, no additive aloe!)  I used Lily Of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel

Witch Hazel (Again, all natural, no additive)

Lavender Essential Oil

a bowl to mix your ingredients in + a spoon

DIRECTIONS

Mix the Aloe gel, a few drops of Lavender oil, and a few squirts of Witch Hazel up in a small bowl.
Unfold a pad, but leave the plastic backing on.
Spoon a generous layer of your concoction onto the pad and spread over the entire surface evenly.
Rewrap the pad.
Pop in the freezer in a ziploc baggie until you get home!


I was skeptical about these being absorbent for use after I had coated them in all this stuff, but they totally were, and when I tell you they were a lifesaver and really expedited my healing process...I can't imagine not having them!!

xoxo-A




No comments:

Post a Comment