Thursday, August 11, 2016

Oh, Hi! What I used in my HOSPITAL BAG!

What I used in my HOSPITAL BAG...

So as most first timers probably do, I completely over packed for our hospital stay.

Being scheduled for induction and realizing that I would probably be there more than 48 hours helped me justify the fact that I had to bring the larger of my two rolling DVF suitcases, plus the diaper bag containing everything I thought I might need for Blair.

I read every single checklist I could find on the mom blogs, Pinterest, you name it.

I dutifully made my checklist (which is essential in my day to day life. If it's not on a list it's getting forgotten about!) and set about gathering all of my supplies.

I am somewhat, you know, high maintenance ... To the point that if I take a nap I feel totally gross and like I need to shower and re-do my hair and makeup completely. I'm not a dry shampoo, rock 2nd day makeup and a tee shirt kind of girl. I say that to say.... If the list below is all *I USED*... You'll be just fine without the 5th pair of PJs....

Out of my huge rolling suit case, I actually pulled out and used:

- My makeup & toiletries:
 I brought an entire Caboodles case full of my everyday makeup, from primer to finishing spray. I have to say, that after 10 hours of induction and before 12 hours of active labor, the shower I took and subsequent makeup application really helped me feel a bit more human and kept me  in a good mood, good enough to enjoy spending the day with my in laws hanging out in the delivery room while we waited for something to happen!

I did dry my hair once while at the hospital as well, (didn't quite have the stamina to do it after delivery) so it was a good move to bring my blow dryer and styling supplies. Again, feeling human and somewhat pretty can make all the difference when you're stuck under fluorescent lights in a hospital bed for two to three days.

Having my own soap and shampoo was also an essential for me, that hospital grade stuff just doesn't cut it for my processed hair ;)  AND of course....toothbrush, toothpaste, floss and mouthwash. DUH.

-Two sets of PJs, Nursing Bra and a Coming Home Outfit:
 I wore loooose PJ pants by Splendid and nursing bras with loose tanks over them for my two days of recovery.  I can't imagine being in that hospital gown any longer than I had to.  I read so many things about how whatever you wear will get ruined, you need to wear gowns and not pants... Blah blah blah. My nurses had no problems with my wearing my comfy pants, I felt more covered with visitors, and I didn't ruin one single item. Also, I had to breastfeed in front of my in laws because the baby was cluster feeding (eating like every 30 minutes) and if I had asked for privacy every time I fed her, it would have just been impossible!  So you could say we all really bonded...lol. Bringing nursing bras saved the day modesty wise.
  I ended up going home in leggings, a tank, and a hoodie. And looking like the Walking Dead since I hadn't slept in three days. May those photos never see the light of day.

-Snacks: 
We made two snack baskets for our stay. One was for the nurses and the other was for our guests. Ladies... Let me just tell you I tore that guest basket UP. I'm a nervous eater... So sitting around at the hospital made me super hungry. I ate more than my share of snack size Rice Krispie treats and Sun Chips... but I can't imagine being stuck in that room without snacks. NO WAY.


-My iPAD with headphones (And my husband's) plus our phones and chargers:  Again, because I was induced we had a lot of sit and wait time.  I wouldn't have made it sanely if I didn't have my iPad there to watch my shows. We did have a TV in the room, but there are only so many Kardashian reruns one can handle.

-Fuzzy Socks: 
I absolutely can not stand the thought of wearing slippers. Period. I did however bring a pair of fuzzy socks with non slip dots on the bottom, and they were a godsend after the first shower post delivery when I realized my toenail has chipped at some point, and who wants to look at that?? Yes to the fuzzy socks.

-My pillow from home: 
Because hospital pillows suck a** and you should be comfy.

-Two Onesies for the baby: I brought a bag packed full of diapers, wipes, multiple outfits, hats, socks, blankets to take photos on.... Yeah. Hello first time mom. The hospital has EVERYTHING. I really only needed one take home outfit but I was happy to be able to put her own clothes on her to see visitors.  I would highly recommend something that snaps down the front, because newborns don't love having things pulled over their head... I can't imagine why....

That's literally it.... We didn't need anything else!!!

We were very lucky in that there were tons of restaurants around the hospital and our parents were happy to run out and grab meals for us....otherwise I would have used Postmates on the reg.

NEXT POST:  2 Week Newborn Update and Our Essentials / Unnecessary list!

No comments:

Post a Comment